D-Day (Dirt Day!)...a day of cycling exploration on unpaved roads...

D-Day (Dirt Day!)...a day of cycling exploration on unpaved roads...
Riding my Mudhoney cyclocross bike (probably where no cross bike should even go!), I snapped this picture from Mammoth Gulch Road, looking northwest toward Rollin's Pass Road and the Continental Divide.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Denver to Aspen

I've been slackin' on the blog a bit! Thanks to my life long friend Jill who supported my Denver to Aspen make-up ride. The ride would have been impossible to accomplish without her help! I had a good day on the bike, riding the 180 mile, 13,500 feet of vertical gain route in 10:04 (average speed 17.9 mph)...very close to cracking the 10 hour barrier. (Unfortunately, I got hung up in traffic on the Aspen side on Independence Pass, losing almost 15 minutes in that section alone compared to last year). It was a strong ride, but was still well off the pace set by former U.S. pro and Giro d'Italia competitor Michael Carter, who rode this route as a double century in 10:15 (average speed 19.5 mph). Definitely a time to shoot for in years to come!



Cruising through the South Park Valley east of Fairplay. Winds were very light, allowing for fast riding times.



Climbing up the east side of Independence Pass...and feeling good!

No comments:

Post a Comment