D-Day (Dirt Day!)...a day of cycling exploration on unpaved roads...

D-Day (Dirt Day!)...a day of cycling exploration on unpaved roads...
Riding my Mudhoney cyclocross bike (probably where no cross bike should even go!), I snapped this picture from Mammoth Gulch Road, looking northwest toward Rollin's Pass Road and the Continental Divide.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Terrible Two.....How Terrible Is It???





This weekend's cycling adventure takes me to Santa Rosa, California for the Terrible Two (http://srcc.memberlodge.com/TT), the third and final race of the California Triple Crown Stage Race (http://www.caltriplecrown.com/). The race, which is 200 miles in length and has over 16,500 feet of vertical gain, notoriously earns its reputation from its steep climbs and punishing heat! Certain parts of the course have recorded temperatures well over 100 degrees during past editions of the race.....hence the name the "Terrible Two!"

I was a bit disappointed with my performance during the first two events of the California Triple Crown Stage Race, the Mulholland Double and the Devil Mountain Double. During the Mulholland Double (http://www.planetultra.com/), which featured over 18,500 feet of vertical gain over 206 miles, I was plagued by cramping for almost 120 miles. By the end of the race, my entire body was in a state of tetany! During the Devil Mountain Double (http://quackcyclists.com/), I was the unfortunate recipient of a flat tire about 55 miles into the event. As a result of the flat, I was forced to burn a lot of calories to chase down the lead pack of riders, which I caught by 85 miles into the race. After 120 miles, however, I started to experience a mid-race "bonk" and then experienced my most bizarre over-use inury to date...a left foot sesamoiditis, an injury that slowed me down for the remainder of the race. My foot problems have continued to plague me for the past 2 months and have definitely hindered my training!

So, I really don't know what to expect this weekend's race...I enter the event undertrained and with a slowly healing left foot. Probably more importantly, I'm ill-prepared for the intense heat I'll likely encounter during the race! So how terrible is the Terrible Two? I'll have to let you know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment