D-Day (Dirt Day!)...a day of cycling exploration on unpaved roads...

D-Day (Dirt Day!)...a day of cycling exploration on unpaved roads...
Riding my Mudhoney cyclocross bike (probably where no cross bike should even go!), I snapped this picture from Mammoth Gulch Road, looking northwest toward Rollin's Pass Road and the Continental Divide.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Bicycle D-Day (Dirt Day)...Boulder and Beyond!

One of my favorite things to do in all of road cycling is to explore! I love searching for new routes and new roads! It definitely breaks up the monotony and rigors of "training" without taking time off of the bike. I just ride for the sake of riding and experiencing the world on 2 wheels!

Having lived in the Denver area for my entire life, I'm still amazed at the number of roads right here in my own backyard that I've never ridden before! There are many...and the more I ride, the more I discover!

Saturday's D-Day (Dirt Day!) ride was no exception. Riding my Seven Mudhoney cyclocross bike, I decided to tackle a loop that I had never attempted before! The route included Boulder's famed Magnolia Road, the Peak-to-Peak Highway, Rollins Pass Road, Coal Creek Canyon, Gross Reservoir, and Flagstaff Mountain! This is my last "longish" ride before the RMCC Joe Lookingbill Denver-to-Aspen Classic Bicycle Race, 180 miles with 13,500 feet of elevation gain!
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35998383

Rollins Pass Road...can you actually ride a cross bike up this thing? I chickened out after about 3 miles and 2 falls...could have benefitted from a hard-tail 29er with a front suspension and disk brakes......hmmm......I don't think I have one.........yet!!!


Descending the back side of Flagstaff Mountain...a welcome sight for sore eyes (and legs) after climbing up the north side of Gross Reservoir!


My Seven Mudhoney after a hard day of work (i.e., play!)...only 80 miles, but over 50 of it on unfamiliar dirt roads and over 9000 vertical feet!



















No comments:

Post a Comment